Local elections - May 20236th of February, 2023
1. Local elections are taking place in Wyre on Thursday 4 May 2023.
2. The requirement to show photo ID at the polling station, is a new requirement, introduced by the UK Government’s Elections Act which was passed last year.
3. The legislation requires voters at polling stations to show an accepted form of photo ID before they receive their ballot paper. From May, voters will need to show photo ID before voting in local council elections in England, parliamentary by-elections, and police and crime commissioner elections in England and Wales. From October 2023, photo ID will be needed at UK parliamentary general elections. It will not be a requirement at local elections in Scotland or Wales, or elections to Scottish Parliament or Senedd. The requirement already exists in Northern Ireland.
4. Applications for the free ID available, called the Voter Authority Certificate, can be made online here: https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-photo-id-voter-authority-certificate
5. To apply for the Voter Authority Certificate, voters will need to provide a photo, full name, date of birth, the address at which they are registered to vote and their National Insurance number.
6. The UK Government’s Department for Levelling up, Housing and Communities is responsible for the new voter ID policy and for the free voter ID application system. Enquiries relating to the application system or the policy itself should be directed to the Department.
7. The Electoral Commission is responsible for ensuring voters are aware of the new voter ID requirement, and for supporting local authorities with the process. Questions related to the public awareness campaign should be directed to the Electoral Commission.
8. Local authorities are responsible for implementing voter ID at the local level.
If you need any help with applying for a Voter Authority Certificate or want to request any of the application forms mentioned, contact the Electoral Services Team at Wyre Council on 01253 887236 or email [email protected] who will be happy to advise.